This is going to be a slightly different sort of post because it’s not so much a recipe so much as an example of a yummy sandwich made with my special spice mix and the list of ingredients for the spice mix. The story behind this particular mix of spices is that when my bestie’s youngest sister got married, they gave out a bottle of spices (as favors) to each guest; it was a spice mix that her dad always has on the table for them to use. They’re South African, so they don’t just dump salt and pepper on everything and consider it done like Americans do lol. I will admit that I am a huge fan of garlic pepper and Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning but it is REALLY salty and I don’t like it on meat–I mostly put it in chicken pot pie and chicken soup.
Anyways, I started with their spice mix as a springboard and then majorly overhauled the quantities and added a couple more spices into the mix. It is AMAZING on meats and sandwiches–I also love using it on burgers. The quantity here is to fill a regular sized spice bottle (like 3-4 oz) and you can mix it together and tweak it to your own palate before filling a big bottle. Yum!!!
HAPPY SPICE MIX
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp garlic flakes
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp curry
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Mix them all together in a bowl and then pour into desired dispenser.
The second thing I’m going to share here is how to make a killer ham + cheese (or in my case, turkey + cheese) sandwich. Seriously. You’re going to wonder why you’ve been doing it wrong all these years.
- 4 slices honey-smoked turkey or ham
- 3 slices havarti cheese
- 1 slice provolone or mozzarella
- 1 slice pepperjack
- Italian herb bread (I really need to post the recipe!!)
- dried onion flakes
- cream cheese
- Spread cream cheese onto 2 slices of Italian herb bread.
- Drizzle honey over each and then sprinkle with onion flakes.
- Shake some Happy Spice Mix over it all.
- Place pepperjack & provolone (or mozzarella) cheese onto slices, then follow up with turkey or ham. Put havarti on last, follow up with more Happy Spice Mix if desired.
- Toast in a toaster oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is all melty and bread is toasty and crispy. Allow to cool a bit before noshing.
- You’re welcome. 🙂